"Jesus said, 'Go and make disciples of all nations...' "
Matthew 28:19



Friday, March 11, 2011

Rhett 3-10-11

Massively busy day in the OR. I fixed two hips that had waited 2
months to get fixed. Also performed a total knee on a lady that
required alot of equipment we didn't have but we made do and it turned
out remarkably stable and aligned. My day also included femur fracture
fixation and some washout surgeries....That was just my schedule.There
is so much need here and the doctors here truly give all they have.
The pediatric surgeons, pediatric neurosurgeons, and pediatric
orthopedic surgeons perform amazing procedures here and next door at
the Bethany Childrens hospital.
This has been a fast two weeks in Kijabe and it comes to a close I
look back and see how much God teaches me when I go. He shows me that
despite "all" my knowledge and "experience" there is so much I don't
know. So much I need to rely on Him for strength and courage to
stretch myself to help a patient when doing nothing is not a good
option. He shows me that others have different experiences and ideas
that are often times much better than mine. Smiling and encouragement
go alot further than complaining or sulking when timing or conditions
aren't going exactly like you would want.
Finally though they do appreciate input and to hear of other ideas,(
like most native southerners often will tell interlopers from
elsewhere) Kenyans don't always care how you do it in the states
because it's usually not an option anyway. These findings apply to all
missions though. Whether your building a buildiing, starting a school/
orphanage or supporting an outreach program. We are the hands and feet
of God but without his strength and blessing all we do is just
something "we" do. I hope God will bless the people I've come in
contact with here.
There are other things I don't know like what is ugali really made of.
It has the consistency of instant mash potatoes but not the taste.
Pray for me as I make my way home and especially from Kijabe to the
airport. I'll definitely have my eyes closed for the ride as the
traffic and the crazy driving is quite unsettling at best.

In his name,
Rhett

No comments:

Post a Comment